Thursday 5 January 2012

making books

High priority this week is to sort through all my "stuff" which was removed from my study to make a bedroom for my daughter returning from UK. When I have finished I will post some before and after pics. In my sorting I found some things I made when I belonged to a Calligraphy group in Melbourne, one of which was a mini concertina book. I am quite into concertina books at present, having just completed one with tangles in it. Recently I have been creating inchies, so thought I would put a strip in one of these little books, except I made the tangles one and a half inches square.





Heres another idea but this time I shaded it. i didnt think the red and purple needed it, but the green and blue did, not having enough contrast. Have yet to make up this one.


Not long after I began to create zentangles last year, I wanted to keep all my tangles in one place. I started doing them in a visual diary, but that soon filled up.  I wanted to make something which would have more room and the idea of a concertina book developed. I decided on a size which would be easy to use and made a trial page, long enough to contain 5 pages of 6 x 4cm squares on  each page and on both sides = 60 tangles a page! Once I had completed 4 pages I decided to think about putting it together, which was a bit of a challenge. Searching the net produced no suggestions. So I began the experiment and explore phase. Eventually I bound the eventual 8 pages together with material, sewing in the pages. This was attached to a  cover made from mountboard and covered with cotton fabric. Results follow...





pages yet to fill in in the future.


7 comments:

  1. What great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I like how the zentangles connect from tile to tile in the smaller book. And what a great display idea to show lots of tiles - I'm ready to try making my own book/journal this year so find this particularly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terrie, glad you have been inspired. Thanks for your encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool way to journal your tangles. Could make a tutorial on how you made this book? I would like to make one of my own. I like the way you bound the pages together to fit 60 tangles within your book. I just got interested in bookbinding last year. I should post a picture of my 2nd bound book I created from scratch from sewing the pages or signatures together. The outside cover is a close up of my face and I titled it "Cookie's Facebook". I made a book with my face on the cover. "Get it"? I made this book as a joke toward the chat group called facebook and here I joined facebook a year later. I should post a photo of that in my facebook account as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely stuff as usual Annie! x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from Canada! I love your tangle books. I'm not sure how you attached the pages or sewed them in , but I sure do like them. I'm looking forward to checking into your blog again and looking back to see everything! Take care,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice ideas - both the small fold out books, and the way you organize tangles. Lovely, and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tangle books! I agree with a previous comment - instructions, please! :)

    ReplyDelete