Thursday 22 November 2012

AEDM#23 and watercolour pencil technique

As I worked on this ZIA, I though there may be someone who is a bit unsure about watercolour pencils, so I took some photos of the process. I worked on watercolour paper 300gsm..quite heavy. It was a medium texture, almost smooth. I used Derwent Inktense pencils to colour initially. The thing with wc pencils is you dont have to colour everything in, but gradually move away from oplace of origin and lighten the coloour if you wish, which is a nice effect. A problem I found was the pecil would not spread evenly on the wc paper.
Here is my picture after the first colouring.

It looks rather rough and sketchy but thats ok...


Next step to apply water with a no2 brush to dissolve the pencil and sometimes blend it. However, it still looked a bit ragged, so....


I used my Prisma Verithin pencils to touch it up, I think it needed that.


16 comments:

  1. It's beautiful! And thanks for the step by step. I always appreciate those.
    Happy PPF!
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! I love water soluble color pencils as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Beautiful Zia! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great info ~ I could use it ~ Lovely creation ~ wonderful design and colors ~ (A Creative Harbor) ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colors! I love your design and the step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your technique. I've never used the water color pencils, been thinking about it, and that's as far as it goes. Lovely work or play, it's toooooooooooo much fun to call it work!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful colors, and gorgeous detail in your design.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great info and fab results. Happy PPF, Annette x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wouldn't it be great if this could be a maze to wander through?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely colours and lots of lovely detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful piece, lovely, fresh colors! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wow... they are so cool and they coordinate with your blog wallpaper perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great detail and wonderful color. Love those pencils. Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the colors and thanks for the step by step - great information!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous! I love the combination of zentangles and watercolours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful work! It's ironic that watercolor pencils don't distribute very well on any kind of textured wc paper--

    Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete